Until very recently, every single surgery was performed by cutting and opening the body part through which the surgery was to be conducted. The advent of newer technologies and advancements in the field of medicine has lead to path breaking inventions. Of particular significance is the science of Laparoscopy where a small aperture, popularly referred as “keyhole” is enough to perform a surgery. Hence the alternate name “Keyhole Surgery” for a Laparoscopic procedure. An optical and camera system of the Laparoscopy has created a big breakthrough in the field of advanced medicines.
The fundamentals of a Laparoscopic System
(1) A Laparoscope is essentially a telescopic rod lens system.
(2) The Laparoscopic system is connected to a video camera.
(3) This laparoscopic system is used for both diagnosis as well as treatment.
(4) In diagnostic laparoscopy, the camera that is fitted easily helps in the diagnosis of ailment accurately
(5) In case of surgery, the laparoscopic system allows the surgeons to perform any kind of surgeries without having a need to cutting and opening the body part.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Procedures for Patients
(1) Patient’s abdomen or whichever area through which the surgery is performed is cut for only a small hole, usually 0.5 to 1.5 cm and not more than that.
(2) A small cut essentially translates to very negligible blood loss.
(3) Additionally it also translates to faster recovery of the patients.
(4) The days of hospitalization is very less. Usually the patient is hospitalized for a day or two on observation.
(5) There is less scar, less pain and less infection as a result.
Advantages of Laparoscopic Procedures for Surgeons
Surgeons too enjoy a great deal of benefit because of the laparoscopic systems.
(1) The flexibility of the system makes them penetrate the nook and corner of the body part. As a result the procedure can enable the surgeon to get the right perspective of the ailment.
(2) This precise diagnosis as a result can help the surgeons to give the right possible treatment.
(3) It is noteworthy to mention that the surgery procedures have largely transformed from a cumbersome procedure to being minimally invasive in nature.
(4) As a consequence of reduction of surgery time and less hospitalization, more patients with similar ailments can be treated faster.
Earlier major surgeries like liver related surgeries, gastrectomy, cancer related surgeries, colon surgeries etc, were performed by conventional or open surgery. But with the advancement in laparoscopic technologies, these major surgeries are also being performed with ease.
Technological Advances in 3-D Laparoscopy
In a 2-Dimensional laparoscopic procedure, the flat view produced has a lack of depth perception. In certain ailments like cancer in the abdomen, the depth so produced by the 3-Dimensional laparoscopic imaging gives a sensory perception on how deep the cancer has spread. They can therefore aid in complete diagnosis and subsequent cure. Generally 3-Dimensional laparoscopy, results in greater speed of task due to the accuracy achieved in the 3D visualization.
At Springfield Wellness 3-Dimensional Laparoscopy is employed for more precision diagnosis and surgical treatments.
Technological Advances in Robotics
Robotics in laparoscopic procedures is very advanced and is therefore the future. Since it is an expensive procedure, it is yet to take root in India. The capital intensive nature of the infrastructure involved makes them prohibitively costly.
In a 2-Dimensional laparoscopic procedure, the flat view produces a lack of depth perception. In certain ailments like cancer in the abdomen, the depth produced by the 3-Dimensional laparoscopic imaging gives a sensory perception on how deep the cancer has spread and can therefore aid in a rather complete diagnosis and subsequent cure.Generally 3-Dimensional laparoscopy results in greater speed of task due to the accuracy achieved in the 3D visualization.
At Springfield Wellness we do employ 3-Dimensional Laparoscopy for more precision diagnosis and surgical treatments.
Dr Maran is a qualified Surgeon in the field of Gastro-enterology. He is a leading Bariatric Surgeon who also specializes in Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery procedures of the gastro-intestinal tracts. He has penchant for addressing problems concerning Obesity