How much weight do you lose after Bariatric Surgery?
This is the most important question of all times lingering in the mind of an individual who is morbidly obese and is planning to undergo a bariatric surgery. So how much weight does one exactly reduce after undergoing weight loss surgery? “On an average an individual may lose up to 70% of his excess weight”, says Dr Maran who does bariatric surgery in Chennai regularly.
Subtracting your actual weight from the ideal weight gives excess weight. Consequently, the ideal weight is the weight your body should be for your age and height. You can calculate your ideal weight from the BMI charts available online.
Weight loss progresses at a steady pace. Hence you need to measure weight loss after six months, nine months, one year, one and a half years and two years. It is even better to measure and check the weight loss every three months. By two years, the patient who has undergone bariatric surgery would have lost up to 70% of the excess weight on an average. Some might lose more weight but some might lose lesser.
Factors Influencing Quantum of Weight Loss
- First of all, how controlled are you in your food intake? Quantity and quality of food after surgery is very important. The more calorie laden food you eat, your weight loss might not work. Be conscious about the food you have to avoid after your bariatric surgery.
- The greatest impact bariatric surgery brings is the ability to perform work outs after a significant weight loss. Therefore if you incorporate exercise regimens after you achieve a level of weight loss, there will be no looking back. Your body responds faster and therefore you can lose more weight.
- You will likely be closer to your ideal weight goal between one year and two years post your bariatric surgery. Furthermore the best results shows up a year after your bariatric surgery.
- Follow the nutrition plan and exercise plan what your surgeon and the nutritionist gives. Hence follow it diligently after the surgery is over.
- Weight loss also depends on other medical conditions. Thyroid, PCOD, any hormonal treatments for infertility, etc, influences your weight loss.
If your weight gain is purely because of quantity of food rather than hormonal cause, the results are really good after your bariatric surgery.
Bariatric Surgery in Chennai
Springfield Wellness Centre is a centre for excellence in Bariatric Surgeries. Dr Maran, a top bariatric surgeon in Chennai performs various types of bariatric surgeries like Gastric Byepass with Roux-en-Y, Mini Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Duodenal Switch, Biliopancreatic Bypass, Metabolic Surgery, Gastric Banding, and Gastric Balloon.
Dr Maran is an experienced Surgeon in the field of Gastro-enterology. He specializes in Advanced laparoscopic Surgery procedures of the gastro-intestinal (GI) tracts. Dr. Maran is also a leading Bariatric Surgeon in Chennai and has a penchant for addressing problems concerning Obesity.