Many wonder if bariatric surgery affects fertility in men and women. At the outset, the morbid obese condition of the individual affects fertility by itself. Bariatric surgery is a war against this morbid obesity. But can this war for good damage the prospects of bearing a child?
Common Effects of Morbid Obesity on Men and Women
- Less interest in intercourse because the sex hormones are not transported properly to the relevant body organism due to obesity.
- The physical exhaustion can make sex itself a cumbersome activity for the obese.
Effects of Morbid Obesity Specific to Men
- Erectile dysfunction due to improper blood flow to the penis is the major cause of concern in morbidly obese men.
- Slightly higher levels of female hormone in some morbidly obese men do occur.
Effects of Morbid Obesity Specific to Women
- Erratic menstrual cycle
- The probability of conceiving is challenging for morbidly obese women due to hormonal changes, irregular ovulation, and the difficulty in sperm deposition.
- Even when women undergo fertility treatment, IVF outcomes are observed to be erratic and not satisfactory.
- PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) conditions can occur in obese women.
Positive Changes of Bariatric Surgery on Morbidly Obese Men
- Men become more sexually active with their reduced weight.
- The testosterone level normalizes and hence there is a renewed desire for intercourse.
Positive Changes of Bariatric Surgery on Morbidly Obese Women
- The biggest relief would be the normalization of menstrual cycle.
- Even women with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) got a boost in their fertility.
- Overall, women experienced positive results when they went in for assisted fertility techniques after undergoing a bariatric surgery.
- However women can try getting pregnant once the weight loss has stabilized. This is usually around 1 year.
Dr Maran is an experienced Surgeon in the field of Gastro-enterology. He specializes in Advanced laparoscopic Surgery procedures of the gastro-intestinal (GI) tracts. Dr. Maran is also a leading Bariatric Surgeon in Chennai and has a penchant for addressing problems concerning Obesity.