General Information on Metabolic Surgery
Someone with normal weight but have severe co-morbid conditions like diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol, etc, are recommended for surgery for Type-2 Diabetes. This surgery can be termed as metabolic surgery.
How is the surgery performed?
Through advanced Laparoscopy, the distal part of small intestine (ileum) is brought to the proximal part of the small intestine. This is a type of malabsorption procedure.
How is weight loss achieved in Metabolic Surgery?
It is borne in mind that this surgery is only for people that has no obesity conditions, but have severe co-morbid conditions like type-2 diabetes, etc.
In nutshell, people who are morbidly obese with co-morbid conditions are recommended the bariatric surgical procedures and people who have normal weight but with co-morbid conditions are recommended for metabolic surgeries.
Are other co-morbid conditions also reduced?
Yes. Here is an interesting statistics.
(1) Drastic reduction of severity of diabetes in 85% individuals who underwent metabolic surgery
(2) Over 70% reduction of cholesterol level post surgery.
(3) Hypertension or high blood pressure decreased over 80%
(4) 90% of the patients experienced near cure of sleep apnea.
(5) Improvement in joint pains.
(6) Ease of respiration.